Creating an auto-numbering field in dynamics 365 using workflow
Author: Bikash Maharjan
In this blog we will cover how to create identification auto-generated field using simple real-time workflow. This can be created for any entity (even for a custom entity). For this you must follow these simple 3 steps:
- Create a custom auto number entity
- Creating a relationship between the created custom entity and the entity that will have the auto-numbering field.
- Make a real-time workflow to populate and increment the number.
Here are the steps in detail to create the custom auto-generated field. We will be creating the field in few entities which will end up with an automatically generated number with an optional prefix and suffix on the first save of the record.
1. Create & save your solution:
2. Add the entities you would like to add the auto number functionality to
Create auto number Accounts, Quotes, and a custom entity created called Projects.
3. Create a new entity called AutoNumber
4. Add the following fields to the AutoNumber form for each entity you would like to have auto numbering.
- Prefix (Text)
- Suffix (Text)
- Number (Whole Number, Simple)
- Increment (Whole Number, Simple)
5. Create a 1: N relationship between your AutoNumber entity and the entity you would like to have the auto number functionality applied to
6. Create your AutoNumber form:
Create a section for each entity you would like to auto number
7. Add a text field to each of the entities you would like to auto number
This will store the generated number. In this case, we have called mine Account Number.
8. Create the AutoNumber record with the default values in it
- Go to advanced find
- In “look for” select AutoNumbers
- Click results
- Click New AutoNumber
- Enter in your values
9. Now create the workflow to set and update the AutoNumber (one for each entity)
10. Create a step to update the quote and set the Quote AutoNumber lookup to the value of the record you created (Defaults)
11. Update the value to your quote number field on the quote form using the AutoNumber values:
12. Increment the Quote AutoNumber number field by the amount in the quote increment field
13. Leaving you with a Workflow looking like this Repeat it for each entity you would like to Auto number.
Now create some records and you should have some automatically generated numbers!
We will be compiling more similar blogs on other modules as well. Do subscribe to our blog to get the latest updates directly to your inbox. If you need help creating an auto-numbering field in dynamics 365, Contact us today for a no-obligation consultation on 01296 328 689. Or email us at email@example.com.